Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bagels


I've been wanting to try to make bagels for years now, and inspired by this post from Marzipan Mom, I decided to give it a go. The first round I didn't take pictures; they tasted great and had a good chew, but they were kind of flat and just didn't look right. This round I must have used a lot more flour and the pictures looked great, but the flavor didn't have as much depth and they just tasted kind of dry. I think next time around I would not add quite so much flour (I was really fighting to knead in the last bits - maybe I counted wrong), and I would try to allow the dough more time to develop some flavor. Although I was pleased to turn out such lovely bagels, it was enough work that we decided we just need to buy good bagels more often.

P.S. As a side note, I just posted photos for the morels, in case any of you were waiting with baited breath.

2 comments:

  1. They look beautiful! And now I'm hungry. And impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the champion. I would never try to make bagels. It always seemed labor-intensive, and I've had no luck with making soft pretzels. (These things are related in my mind.) They look beautiful, really. Please let me in on future taste tests.

    ReplyDelete