Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Deep-Dark Fudgy Brownie Mix

I like making my own baking mixes because they're cheaper and taste better than most of what you can buy. And if I make more than one mix at a time, it saves me time cleaning up the measuring mess.   I've printed the mix ingredients on one side of a laminated tag, and the wet ingredients to add later, along with basic baking instructions, on the other.  I tape the tag to the baggie and store it until we want a chocolate fix.

I based this recipe on one from the King Arthur Flour website.

Deep-Dark Fudgy Brownie Mix

Measure into a quart size zip-top baggie:
2/3 cup double-dutch dark cocoa (I used 1/3 c. special dark, and 1/3 c. regular cocoa)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. espresso powder (optional, but this is part of what give these a dark, rich flavor)

When ready to prepare, preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease a 8x8 or 9x9 square pan.  Whisk or sift the mix into a large bowl.  Add:
3 large eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbs. water
1 cup. toasted pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 cup semi-sweet or 60% dark chocolate chips (optional)

Spoon into the baking pan, smoothing the top.  Bake about 35 min. for 9x9 pan and 45 min for 8x8 pan.  To see if the brownies are done, stick the tip of a knife in the center.  Wiggle it to see what's going on:  is the batter still shiny, wet, and smooth?  Continue to bake.  Is it ultra-moist, but not shiny, and "crumby" looking?  Take them out, they're done.  Place on cooling rack, and if you have a powerful lot of self-control, allow them to cool 1 hour before slicing.  You can tell from the photo that I prefer to eat it as soon as I can keep from burning my tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment