Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Chocolate Orange Cupcakes


This recipe is originally from Joanne Wheatley, from the Great British Bake-Off.  It has a mixing method I haven’t tried before in a cake batter, where you blend the dry ingredients with the butter in a food processor, kind of like you would for a pie, then you mix in the liquid ingredients.  I think I didn’t blend the butter in quite enough because the batter had butter lumps in it, but they weren’t a problem in the finished cupcake.

I made her version today and it was a little too sweet for my taste.  I’d prefer a more tart orange flavor and darker chocolate.  So here is what I’d do the next time around.






Chocolate Orange Cupcakes


For the cupcakes
120g/4oz (1 cup) all-purpose flour
140g/5oz (2/3 cup) sugar
1 tsp baking powder
40g/1½ oz unsalted butter
50g/2oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1 free-range egg
125ml/4fl oz (1/2 cup) milk 

For the orange drizzle

2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp orange liqueur or 1/2 tsp orange extract

For the white chocolate and orange buttercream

125g/4½oz unsalted butter, softened
250g/9oz icing sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
50g/1¾oz white chocolate, melted
1 orange, zest only
1 oz dark chocolate

Method:

Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.

Mix the flour, sugar and baking powder together in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until combined.

Whisk the melted chocolate, egg and milk together in a jug.

Stir the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.

Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the orange juice, concentrate, liqueur and granulated sugar together in a bowl. Carefully pour the orange juice mixture over the warm cakes and set aside to cool completely.

For the white chocolate and orange buttercream, beat the butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Carefully stir in the icing sugar and continue to beat for five minutes. Beat in the milk, melted chocolate and orange zest.

Decorate the cupcakes with the buttercream.

Use a sharp knife to make chocolate shavings from the dark chocolate and use them to decorate the cupcakes.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to try these even though I know it is very unlikely my finished product will resemble your finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if they don't look good, they'll still taste good! But here are some details about how I decorated, in case it helps:

    I used a #1M decorating tip, which is fairly large, and twisted the bag as I went around. I did a couple tester cupcakes and then scraped the icing back off and into the bag to do it again. Here's a link to the original recipe, which includes a video at the end with a demonstration of three icing methods, one of which you can do without any tips at all. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_orange_69109

    Rather than using a knife to shave the chocolate, I let the chocolate warm slightly (on the warm oven after baking), then used a vegetable peeler to shave the chocolate. If you get the chocolate to the right temperature, you can get nice curls, but mine just kind of splintered. I also used an orange zester to get the orange zest strands. I was thinking they would taste better if I candied them, but then decided it wasn't worth the effort. Good luck! I'd love to hear how they turn out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh -- that method of making cake batter was one pioneered by Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of "The Cake Bible." Her cookbooks are remarkable in their precision and sophistication -- and they the ingredients are always listed by US standard and by weight. She's spent a long time trying to get her fellow Americans to measure with a baking scale, and nearly has me convinced. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I actually have found that measuring with a baking scale saves me time because I don't have to wash all the measuring cups.

      Delete