Monday, March 1, 2010

Thai-inspired Peanut Sauce

March is finally here, but somehow it looks just as snowy as it did yesterday. I take hope in a few difficult things coming to a successful conclusion: Zoe got an A on her last English essay (the first from a very demanding teacher) and Clay finished reviewing the portfolios of hundreds of student applicants. He's almost done with his latest commission, a dramatic, large painting for the remodeled Renaissance Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh.

I'm trying to pull myself together and get things done in spite of the mood all these gray skies and white landscapes have gotten me into. Last night I actually planned today's lunches in advance and made some yummy peanut noodles with vegetables. It helped this morning go more smoothly. Ok, I have to admit it's almost 11 and I'm still not fully dressed, but at least they both got off on time with a good lunch. I got this recipe years ago from Vegetarian Times. It's very easy to make, it makes a good school lunch, and we all love it.

Thai-inspired Peanut Sauce

1/4 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. tahini
1/4 c. rice or cider vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. orange juice (or lemon or lime)
a dash of hot pepper sauce, to taste
2 Tbs. apple juice to thin as needed
1 Tbs. fresh minced ginger (optional, but I always add it if I have it on hand)
1/2 Tbs. fresh minced garlic (optional)

Combine all but apple juice in blender. Puree on high until creamy and smooth, at least 1 min. Add apple juice as desired to thin the consistency.

Serve over: 1 lb. cooked pasta and your choice of vegetables (thinly sliced carrots, green onions, fresh sweet peas, lightly steamed green beans and broccoli, cooked yams, edamame, etc.). Sometimes I add some broiled tofu as well. This is a good recipe for using a whole wheat pasta, because the flavors go well together.

I've never tried freezing it, but I think it would probably work well to freeze any of it but raw veggies. If any of you try that, let me know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. I love peanut sauce, so thanks for posting this. I'm craving green and sun too and hoping we'll get some (even just a little, please) soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the Paneer Masala this week -- a success! Thanks for posting these great foods; I've tried other Thai-inspired peanut sauces before, but not one that also uses tahini. Maybe I'll give this one a shot as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete