Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blackened Tilapia with Cilantro-Lime Slaw

I need something a little perky and fresh to help me through these cloudy days. This is a recipe I keep coming back to because it tastes great and it's pretty good for you, too. Although I might prefer the tilapia with black bean mango salsa, that one requires fresh tomatillos and mangos, which are hard to come by and keep on hand. I almost always have cabbage and a lime on hand, plus tilapia in the freezer, so it doesn't require extra shopping. I've found the cilantro is such a small amount that it's ok if I leave it out.

This slaw recipe is tangy and salty and it's kind of addicting. Even Clay, who generally dislikes coleslaw, really likes this one.

(adapted from Fine Cooking 96)

Blackened Tilapia with Cilantro-Lime Slaw

serves 2

1/2 small clove garlic
kosher salt
1 med. lime
3 Tbs. mayonnaise
about 2-3 cups cabbage or Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced (I use my mandoline)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
two 5-oz tilapia fillets, cut in half lengthwise
1 Tbs. unsalted butter

Mince or finely grate the garlic, zest and juice the lime, mix with garlic and mayonnaise. Toss in the cabbage, scallions, cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a small bowl, mix the chili powder, cumin, 1/4 tsp salt, and several grinds of pepper. Sprinkle the spice rub all over the tilapia.

Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Cook the tilapia on both sides until browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes total for the small pieces and 5 minutes for the large. Transfer to a plate. Toss the slaw and add more lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve the tilapia with the slaw.

I like to serve it with warmed corn tortillas.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I haven't been cooking much lately and am missing real food, maybe I can get Isaac to nap long enough to make this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tilapia was good, but the cilantro-lime slaw was outstanding. It's a keeper. I used a generous densely-packed 2 Tb. cilantro, and I think the flavor helped make it so good. Keith used the corn tortilla, fish and slaw to make a fish taco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked the slaw, Mom. I agree, it is the best part of the recipe, and I usually use extra cilantro, too. My family likes to make it into fish tacos, too.

    ReplyDelete