Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Carrot Soup with Dill Pesto

I know, the title sounds like too much work, but really it's very simple and way worth it.  I finally got around to trying this recipe from our farmer tonight, and I can't even hope to post pictures of the leftovers because we ate every last drop.  So if you have more than 3 people, you'd better make more and allow a little more cooking time.   I expected the dill to have a much stronger taste than it did, but it tasted super fresh and summery and was the perfect compliment to the sweetness of the carrots and onions.  I think I can even give you the recipe from memory.  We had it with some toasted "English Muffin Bread" (a recipe I found on Pinterest which is super easy).  It was a nice warming meal to have in the face of all of this drizzling rain.

Carrot Soup with Dill Pesto

for the soup
2 Tbs. butter
1 onion, chopped
4 large carrots, sliced
1 tsp. dill seed
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
 for the pesto
1 cup chopped fresh dill
2 Tbs. pinenuts
2 Tbs. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion and carrots and dill seed in butter until tender, about 10 minutes.  Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes.  Use a hand blender or transfer in batches to a regular blender and blend until smooth.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

While the soup is cooking, make the dill pesto:  in a food processor finely chop the fresh dill and pinenuts, using on/off and scraping down the sides as necessary.  Slowly drizzle in the oil and blend well, then add salt and pepper to taste. 

To serve, ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of dill pesto.

2 comments:

  1. I still you owe you a photos - pick a recipe and lets do a food session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I never would have thought of dill pesto, but I love dill, so hopefully can give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete