Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Zucchini Carrot Muffins

In case your gardens are still producing zucchini (my squash vines have all succumbed to powdery mildew), I present for your consideration Zucchini Carrot Muffins.

These are yummy, relatively healthy, and freeze well. I usually freeze whatever we don't eat when they're fresh from the oven and throw them into Zoe's backpack for snack time. I used to send one of these with a yogurt for a lunch, but she eats a lot more than that now. The frozen ones are best reheated a bit in the toaster oven to get that crunchy top back. I also often freeze extra zucchini (shredded), in the amounts for my favorite recipes, and this is one of them.

I've adapted this recipe from one my sister sent me for Trail Ride Zucchini Muffins. I substituted carrot once when I was short on zucchini, and I like the flecks of color - I would do about 2 c. zucchini and 1/2 c. carrot. I also like the extra brightness the lemon peel gives them.

Zucchini Carrot Muffins
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1/3 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. nonfat dry milk
2 1/2 c. zucchini and carrot, grated
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon extract
1/2 c. raisins (optional - I haven't used these yet)
1/2 c. chopped nuts
zest of 1 lemon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Sift flours, soda, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl; set aside. Combine egg, oil, sugar, dry milk, zucchini/carrot, vanilla and lemon extract in another bowl; beat thoroughly. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until smooth. Stir in raisins and nuts. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Other whole grain flours are good.

1 comment:

  1. These sound really good! And I like muffins for quick breakfasts or snacks that don't involve processed foods.

    ReplyDelete