Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

I've been meaning to try this recipe for a couple of months. It's fantastic and pretty easy after all. It works with frozen raspberries and other berries or even rhubarb. It's tender and delicate, sweet and tart. Buttery, but not so rich you couldn't consider having it for breakfast. I gave the recipe to my daughter and her friend after they picked black raspberries. It was easy enough for them to make it and they devoured it all before I got a chance to try it. Her friend's family has made it multiple times since, and I finally got around to it this week and have regretted not trying it before. It takes about 15 minutes, plus cooking time. I really wish our raspberry bushes were still fruiting now, but I can still get them from the farmer's market, I think.

(from the June 2009 Gourmet)

Raspberry Buttermilk Cake

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick butter, softened
2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup fresh raspberries (about 5 oz)

Preheat oven to 400 with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-in round cake pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar at medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.

At low speed, mix in the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.

Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar.

Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, about 24-30 min. Cool in pan 10 min, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10-15 min. more. Invert onto a plate.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if this would work if I sour my own milk (which I do for cornbread). I have raspberries on hand and one of my kids has been asking if he can bake a cake soon. This one should be it. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should work, though I've found (in other recipes) that it changes the texture a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used milk with lemon juice (1 Tb. to 1 cup milk) and it worked fine. I think if you made this with rhubarb, you would need to cook it first, as the raspberries came out almost fresh, sunk in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know the substitute works. I'm not so sure you'd need to cook the rhubarb - I have a rhubarb muffin recipe (I should post it!) that cooks about the same amount of time, and the rhubarb is fully cooked. You've got all those yummy raspberries to use - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete