Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Breathe a sigh of relief




Ok, I don't want to admit what we've been eating lately. My stockpile of prepared foods in the freezer is fine; I can feel good about pulling a lentil soup out of the freezer and microwaving it for lunch. Takeout and frozen pizzas I'll admit to. But the hotdogs without buns microwaved and wolfed down on an evening when it was just C and me at home? That's just wrong. I won't admit to it. Needless to say, I can't exactly write about the recipes I've been trying lately.

I've been working ridiculous hours trying to get pottery prepared in time for the Ellis Holiday Shoppe, with the idea that then I'd also have a good stash of work left to give to PCA for their shop, as well as some to sell out of the studio, etc. I made a ton of work. Or at least half a ton, if you count it by the weight of the clay I used. . .

The holiday shop is over, and after several hours at the school yesterday setting up, a good 13 1/2 hours there today and more hours ahead of me unpacking, I can say that sales were better than expected. Although I can't say that I'm anywhere near making a good hourly wage as a potter, at least I can say that I have finally broken the barrier and have now sold enough to cover my expenses (not counting the kiln) and made $50 profit. I have a good stock of supplies in the studio and the reasonable hope of making some money selling at PCA over the next month, so things can only get better.

I'm exhausted. My whole family is exhausted. I have to wonder if it's worth it. Time to pull my life back together and re-assess. After a good night's sleep.

6 comments:

  1. It *is* worth it--not just for you but for Z. It's important for her to see you, as her mother, doing something you love and for her to see you love it in spite of how exhausted it makes you and how hard it is and how sometimes the only 'profit' you make from doing something you love is simply loving it. You're so talented. Every time I use one of your pieces, I get compliments on them. A good night's sleep (or two) is well deserved, but please keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Bobbie. I feel the same way about your talent of writing. I so enjoy reading what you write and hope you keep going.

    I do think it's worth it (even, specifically, hauling all my stuff over and spending a day in fear of having my ego crushed while people walk by and judge my work). I'll try to avoid such a time crunch in the future. For one thing, I'll know farther in advance if I'm selling at Ellis and PCA again. Plus, Clay's going to build me some shelves on the enclosed front porch to store my finished work, so I can make stuff through the year to be ready for the holidays, rather than just the last couple of months. (He doesn't know that yet).

    All this work has been hard, but I'm really excited to feel that I've made dramatic improvement in my skills recently and it makes me want to be in the studio even more.

    And I totally agree that it has been good for Z. Aside the example I'm setting, I think it has greatly increased her self-sufficiency to have me so busy. She has seen my need and been more helpful and has also totally taken control of keeping track of her schoolwork these last couple of months. In fact, we had a classic teenage moment the other day when we were asking her at dinner when an assignment was due and she kept telling us it didn't matter, and finally, in complete frustration, said something like, "You guys are trying to take over my life!" Seems funny to me now. I like how it shows that she's taken ownership of her school responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liam and I stopped in at the Ellis sale yesterday, but you weren't there. Your work looks BEAUTIFUL. Let us know when you are having your pottery porch sale and we will come shopping!

    Totally agree with "time to pull my life back together and re-assess" -- US TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry I missed you!! I must have been visiting Zoe's booth or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know anything about pottery (as evidenced many time by my lame questions) but I think you are enormously talented. I think any learning process that stretches us and makes us work hard is worth the time.

    BTW, I used my little mug last night and it IS the perfect size for drinking chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, it does me no end of good to hear that a fab cook like you does occasionally wolf down a bunless hot dog. :-)

    ReplyDelete