Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pumpernickel with Olive and Walnut Spread Tea Sandwiches



I think it was a need to do something other than sit at the computer working on taxes and financial aid applications and look out at the grey skies and snowy landscape that led me to issue an open invitation to my bookgroup buddies and their daughters to come have a girly tea party. We ended up with 22 of us, and with everyone's contributions, we had a pretty impressive spread of assorted tea sandwiches, scones, mini muffins, cupcakes, fresh fruit and other goodies. We had a decent showing of tiaras and fancy dresses, too. And, really, I had a lot more fun than it looks like from this photo. It was a good party, and the sun even came out briefly! Thanks, everyone, for coming and cheering me up!

I made my favorite celebratory sandwiches from the original Moosewood Cookbook.

Here's my easy version:

3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup black olives
8 oz. cream cheese
1 scallion stem, chopped
1 red bell pepper
mesclun greens or spinach leaves, washed
cucumber (optional)
1 loaf pumpernickel bread

Toast the walnuts in the microwave for 3 minutes. Pulse to chop in the food processor. Remove to bowl. Pulse black olives to lightly chop. Add the cream cheese and chopped scallion and walnuts and pulse until blended but not too pureed. Spread on pumpernickel, top with red bell pepper (I diced it first, but slices work fine), greens and optional cucumber. Cut as desired. (I cut off the crusts and cut them in triangles).

6 comments:

  1. I call jinx on your post! Great minds blog alike, I guess:)

    Thanks again for a wonderful afternoon. And thanks for making me like olives. Those sandwiches rock and I didn't realize you could toast nuts in the microwave. That's a good tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I read your post before I posted. I wanted to post all the pictures of people, but thought I'd better not. Thanks for the pics!

    I love toasting nuts in the microwave - I used to always burn them in the toaster oven or in a skillet. This way I don't have to remember them if I'm busy with something else, and they're ready when I am. My general guideline for toasting nuts in the microwave: 2 minutes for 1/2 cup of nuts. Longer if they're frozen. And if your microwave tends to cook them too hot in the center, then stir halfway through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very jealous I missed this; what an excellent spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww! I should have invited you for some girl time, too!

    ReplyDelete