Monday, February 22, 2010

Chicken Chilaquiles

There are lot's of versions of this out there. I like this one from Leanne Ely because it's easy and good, but I haven't often had one I don't like. I also like the addition of black beans. I usually split this recipe into two 8" square pans and freeze one to bake later. One of these smaller pans is just the right amount for the 3 of us. If I line the pan with foil before freezing it, then it slides out easily into a gallon bag and I can use the pan in the meantime. I also often use a little less chicken and more tortillas. More tortillas require more sauce, though, so keep that in mind. This is very flexible and I often substitute diced green chiles and green salsa for some or all of the enchilada sauce.

This is good with baked winter squash as a side dish - it cooks at the same time as the chilaquiles. I cut it in half, seed it, then turn it upside down in an oil-sprayed baking dish and bake until soft. then I top it with a little butter, brown sugar, and cardamom. Get the squash in the oven before you assemble the chilaquiles.

Chicken Chilaquiles

2 cans green enchilada sauce
1 cup salsa
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. garlic powder (opt.)
12 corn tortillas, cut into pieces
1 can black beans, drained
1/2 lb. cheddar, shredded

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Combine sauce and salsa with the cumin and garlic powder. Start layering in pan, starting with just enough sauce to cover bottom, then tortillas, then chicken, beans, and a little cheese. Repeat until you end with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake uncovered 30-40 min. Let it rest 10 minutes, then dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment