Monday, February 22, 2010

Paneer Masala


In a word: Yum! This is one of my all time favorite dishes. I always double it so that I have leftovers to freeze for another night. For a simple meal, I serve it with just some toasted naan (rubbed with butter and sprinkled with kasuri methi). Or for guests I make some other Indian dishes, like the fabulous roasted butternut squash and chickpea recipe I tried the night we had this (look for it in a future post - I didn't get a picture of it, though). I have sometimes made the paneer from scratch, but it's much easier to get the pre-made fried paneer at the Indian grocery store.

Paneer Masala

2 Tbs. butter
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 pkg fried paneer cubes
2 big onions, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 whole cloves
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
1 Tbs. garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
3 Tbs. cashews
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
8 fenugreek seeds (if you don't have the kasuri methi)
1 Tbs. garam masala
1 tsp. salt, to taste
1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 pinch nutmeg
3 Tbs. heavy cream
2 Tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish

Heat butter in pan. Add bay leaf and cloves, then add the onions and saute until light brown. Add ginger and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add spices, tomatoes and salt to taste. Stir and simmer for some time. Remove cloves and bay leaf and puree the mixture (a hand-held blender works well for this). Return to pan, add the paneer and simmer 4-5 minutes. Add a small cup of water and cook on medium until you get the desired consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the cream. Garnish with cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to bear my testimony that Val's Paneer Masala is delicious. I want to bathe in it then drink it then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm. And the best part is that I just discovered that there is an Indian grocery in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete