Monday, February 22, 2010

Curry-Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas



After spending the day shoveling on Sunday after the big snowstorm, some friends managed to make it over to share some food for a "Superbowl" party. It wasn't easy for them, since our alley was impassable and there was no parking on the street. Not much football watching got done. It may be the first time I've ever watched the Superbowl when the Steelers weren't playing. Anyway - good food, good friends. This new recipe from foodandwine.com was my personal favorite of the night:

Curry-Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpeas

1 large butternut squash, in cubes
10 oz. can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 Tbs. mild curry powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 1/2 tbs. fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375. In a large bowl, toss the butternut with the chickpeas, olive oil, curry and cayenne and season with salt and pepper (I did this in a gallon bag the day before and kept it in the bag in the fridge). Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast for 1 hour or until tender. The butternut should start to brown on the edges.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the yogurt with the cilantro and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the squash and chickpeas onto a platter and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the yogurt sauce, serving the rest on the side (I just served it all on the side).

3 comments:

  1. This is great - now when I'm menu planning I can just pop over to your blog and get some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Are those samosas in the background? I've always wanted to try and make samosa chaat (sp?) at home. That would save me so much money, just on samosas.

    You are so amazing! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Stephanie, I didn't make the samosas - my friend bought them from the Indian grocery on Craig St.

    ReplyDelete