Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cooking Lessons with Zoe 2

Here's a lesson neither of us are going to forget any time soon: fresh goat milk and fresh goat milk yogurt from the Amish farmer at the farmer's market? We thought, "that sounds great - we like goat cheese, we like raw milk, we like homemade yogurt - let's go for it!" Later, still gagging on the aftertaste that's like licking a goat, we think we'll stick with the goat cheese.

As for the more formal lessons, we've made it through poached eggs, fried eggs sunny side up, and making bread in the breadmaker. It seems like for the last few days, though, I haven't had time to cook anything, let alone take the extra time to let Zoe do it.

I did finally look up instructions for fried eggs and figured out that I've been cooking them over heat that's too high. That's why I've always had trouble getting the whites fully cooked. We had some lovely sunny side up eggs with the whites fully cooked but not rubbery, and the domed yolk just beginning to firm up around the edges. Perfect for dipping toast made from that breadmaker bread. I used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking, if anyone cares to look at it. Well, actually, I should confess that only one of the eggs was perfect. The other was flat, with a broken yolk. The problem was that the first egg we cracked into the pan was not very fresh, which causes the white to spread out thinly and the yolk to often break. We got the second egg from the new carton of eggs, and it was perfect. I should have taken a picture; it was a perfect demo of fresh versus not so fresh.

4 comments:

  1. "like licking a goat." Sealed the deal for me - not gonna try that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Valerie. This is your cousin Liz. I love your blog! I have a great recipe for Zuppa Toscana soup that I got from a friend. I think it's the only way I've ever had kale! I'll have to try out some of your recipes. Anyway, here is mine:

    Zuppa Toscana Soup

    1/2 lb. spicy & ½ 1b. Italian sausage - crumbled
    1/2 lb. smoked bacon - chopped
    1 qt. water
    (2) 14.5 oz. cans (about 3 2/3 cups) chicken broth
    2 lg. russet potatoes - scrubbed clean, thinly sliced
    2 garlic cloves - peeled, crushed
    1 med. onion - peeled, chopped
    2 cups chopped kale
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    salt and pepper - to taste
    -In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
    -In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside.
    -Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
    -Add sausage and bacon to pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
    -Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.
    Top with fresh Parmesan cheese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Liz. This recipe looks almost exactly like the ones I was looking at, except yours has bacon and more cream. Just to clarify, is the sausage half spicy and half mild italian sausage? I'm glad to hear from someone I know who likes that soup. Looks terrific - I'll have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the sausage is half of each, but I'm sure you can adjust it to your taste. Next time I make it, I'm going to try it without the bacon. I just had it at Olive Garden and I didn't notice any bacon. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete