Sunday, June 20, 2010

Red Peppers stuffed with Orzo, Feta, and Kale

My apologies to the guests I shared this with on Friday - I was going to fast to do it the fancy way, baked in the red pepper shells, and I forgot to check to see if I had orzo before I started, so I had to substitute shells. It was good, but not quite as good as when I do it right. I was glad they agreed to come at the last minute, though. It's always good to have last minute friends.

4 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium red onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 small bunch kale (2-3 cups), well washed
1 2/3 c. cooked orzo, cooled
1/2 lemon
1/4 lb. feta
1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 Tbs. chopped flat leaf parsley
8 calamata olives, pitted
4 med. red bell peppers
1 1/2 cups dry white wine

Heat the oven to 350. Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a large skillet until moderately hot. Add the red onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring often, until wilted and tender, 5-7 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper and reserve.

In a bowl, combine the onion and kale with the orzo, lemon zest and juice, feta, oregano, thyme, parsley and olives. Toss gently until combined and season with salt and pepper.

Slice off the top 1/2' of each pepper and reserve. With a paring knife, cut away the ribs and discard. Turn the pepper upside down and pat it to get all the seeds to fall out. Divide the orzo filling among the peppers. Replace the top of each pepper.

Put the peppers in a medium baking dish and sprinkle them with the remaining 2 T olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour the wine in the pan. Bake until the peppers are very tender and slightly blackened on top, about 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment