Sunday, June 20, 2010

Kale Chips

This one's for my dad, for Father's Day, since he was asking me what to do with kale. This is one of the simplest ways, doesn't require lots of other ingredients, and it's weirdly addictive. I can eat a whole bunch of kale this way in one sitting. Though I'd recommend sharing it, for the sake of your digestion.

Here's the new recipe I want to try from Kretschmann Farms. I'm interested to try their version with the agave nectar, garlic and cayenne, but I wouldn't take their advice to turn it. When I've tried stirring midway through in the past, the kale just kind of lumped up and didn't end up as nicely crispy.

Kale
Chips
: Destem kale and cut into 1’ pieces. Whisk together 2 tbs agave nectar, 1 tsp salt, 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder, 1/8 tsp. cayenne, 2 tbs. cider vinegar, 3 tbs. olive oil. Toss kale with mixture and bake on oiled cookie sheet. @ 350 8 min. then turn and bake another 7 min. until crispy.


Here's the version I've used in the past. They have good pictures, but I think it uses too much salt and oil.

My variation:

1 bunch organic kale, torn into 1/2″ pieces
1 tablespoons organic olive oil
1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400° F. Whisk oil and vinegar and toss kale in the dressing until thoroughly coated.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place kale on sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 15 minutes or so, until crispy.



No comments:

Post a Comment