Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Garlic Scape Pesto


I was all set to take some awesome pictures, but I can't find the camera.

So: garlic scapes. I never heard of them until a year or two ago when I started getting them in my veggie box. They're the curly shoots of the garlic plants that have a flower bud at the tip.

Easy recipe: I just chopped them (about 6 shoots) roughly in 2 inch bits and threw them in the food processor with some almonds that I toasted in the microwave (2 minutes for 1/2 c., but I only used about 1/3 cup - you could also use pine nuts), some freshly grated reggiano parmesan (about 1/4 cup), and extra virgin olive oil (maybe 3 Tbs?). I put it on some angel hair pasta, served it with some sliced tomatoes and sauteed spinach on the side.

It's kind of got a bite to it, but it's bright and fresh tasting, with a little richness from the nuts and cheese. And the leftover pesto can be frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment