Saturday, August 21, 2010

Avenue B

Best anniversary dinner ever! Often when we splurge on an anniversary dinner, we end up feeling like it wasn't worth the cost. This time, I found myself devising ways to get more money so we can go back (Bank robbery? no. Selling blood? maybe. Climb on the roof to fix the leak around the chimney ourselves rather than hiring someone to do it? That might work).

We had a 7:00 reservation at Avenue B on Centre Ave. We started with "the raw deal", which was three beautifully plated items: three pieces of tempura-battered sushi, "Hawaiian" minced raw tuna and pineapple with wasabi aioli, and raw salmon on molded rice with black sesame salsa. I ordered the chicken breast mole with 2 potato corn hash and fried egg. The mole had cherries in it and was delicious, if not traditional. The hash was molded into a circle and topped with a perfectly fried egg. I loved the mix of corn, sweet potatoes, and potatoes with the egg. Clay ordered the wild alaskan king salmon, smoke grilled, served on caramelized fennel potato salad with bacon and balsamic dressing. My dinner was delicious, but his was ethereal. The salmon was so smoky and went perfectly with all the other flavors. The service was good, everything was plated beautifully (I wished I had brought my camera), and we really enjoyed the atmosphere.

For dessert: Clay got the cherry flan, which had more of a cheesecake texture. It was garnished with a white chocolate flower and a nasturtium. I ordered the chocolate almond mousse cake, which was a triple layered confection (cake, pudding, and mousse, I think), topped with candied almonds and minced strawberries and a white chocolate cylinder filled with strawberry coulis that dripped down the cake when I cracked it open. Browned butter icecream quenelle and a dark mocha cookie on the side. Ahhhhhh. Pure decadence.

Often when I go out to eat, I think "I should make this at home" and I'm usually successful. This time I knew it was impossible.

1 comment:

  1. Drool.

    You've gotta start taking that camera out with you! Although restaurant pics are so hard with low lighting, etc. But still, we want visuals:)

    ReplyDelete