Saturday, August 14, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

This one I make without a recipe, so it's a bit different every time, depending on what I have. I usually try to freeze some of the leftovers so we have something comforting when someone gets sick. The current incarnation was made for my dear husband, who got what we think was food poisoning from the catering at my family reunion. He was violently ill, recovered enough for us to travel home again (6 hours driving on Tuesday, then traveling from 6 am until 10:30 pm on Wednesday getting to and from airports and flying from Phoenix to Pittsburgh). At about 10 pm his fever and chills came back. And he's still not better! So anyway, I made him this chicken noodle soup.

1 small onion
2 stalks celery, with leaves
2-3 medium carrots
1 chicken breast
2 quarts chicken stock or broth
3/4 cup noodles (I had star shaped)
a small bunch of herbs: parsley, thyme, and sage (optional)

Chop the veggies and sautee them in a bit of olive oil until tender. Add some kosher salt. Add the chicken stock and the chicken breast and boil until the chicken is cooked, about 8 minutes. Pull out the chicken, shred, then return to the pot. Add the herbs and the noodles. If you tie the herbs together, they're easier to fish out at the end. I also added a few dried mushrooms to add more depth to the flavor of the broth. It was good, but entirely optional. Cook until the noodles are soft. Add more broth/stock/water until the soup has the right proportion of broth to other things. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment