Saturday, August 14, 2010

Mediterranean Lentil Salad

Another fortuitous combination of ingredients I had in the fridge and pantry. I made this one for a potluck picnic, and again for my family reunion on Monday. I like it a lot, and I love that it's brimming with things that are so freaking good for you. I'm just estimating the amounts - they're flexible.

Mediterranean Lentil Salad

1 bag of Trader Joe's black beluga lentils, which are precooked (you could also cook some french lentils, but don't use regular green lentils because they're too mushy)
1/2 cup leftover cooked brown rice (optional)
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 chopped cucumber
2 chopped tomatoes
juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat italian parsley (curly will do)
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Stir together and let it marinate in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving. I added a bit of the marinade from the artichoke hearts as well.

For the reunion, I served it with hummus, carrots, olives, cheese and salami and fresh fruit. Somehow the pita got lost, but we were fine without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment