Sunday, September 12, 2010

Peach Pie

C's 41st birthday, and this is what I made instead of a cake (I wish the picture were better):

Lattice-topped Peach Raspberry Pie

It's easier than it looks when you use a premade crust. This one is Pillsbury refrigerated rolled crust. I've also liked the Trader Joe's frozen crust.

Just put one crust in the bottom of your pie pan. Fill it with the filling, cut strips of the top crust and weave them together, leaving just 1/4 in. overhang. Tuck the edges under the bottom crust and then press together with a decorative edge. Brush the top of the crust with a bit of something (beaten egg, cream, even water) then sprinkle with sugar to make the top glisten with sugar crystals. Bake at 375 until crust is golden. I also put a pie crust ring around the rim after it has mostly cooked to keep it from browning too much faster than the rest of the pie.

For the filling, I basically used M's frozen peach pie recipe from her blog, with the addition of the almond extract and a handful of raspberries:

About 4 cups of cut up peaches (I didn't bother peeling them)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. citric acid (skip it if you don't have it)
1 tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. instant tapioca
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Stir together and put in unbaked pie crust and continue as above.


I also brought a version of this to a party in late August, where I used a crumb topping instead of the lattice. I prefer that, but C likes his pastry pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment