Sunday, September 26, 2010

Quick Blender Tomato Soup

This one comes from the Williams Sonoma The Kids Cookbook, which I think is my favorite cookbook for kids because it has real food, not just decorated food and tons of sweets. It also is a good basic introduction to cooking, since the recipes teach a lot of cooking skills that transfer to all sorts of other cooking. I also like the fact that the recipes are good enough that I actually choose to make them myself fairly often. This tomato soup recipe is a good example. It is easy enough for a child to make, but soooo much better than the stuff you get out of a can.

On Monday I had a lot of fresh tomatoes, so I substituted them (chopped) for the canned ones and strained the puree after I blended it to get the seeds and skins out. I had to mess with the recipe to get it to taste right, though, and I have no idea what I did, so I'd recommend going with the canned tomatoes the first time around.

Here's my shortened version of the recipe for more experienced cooks. The kids' version is much more detailed.

Creamy Tomato Soup

3 small green onions
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper

Blend until smooth: tomatoes, chicken broth, chopped green onions, milk, sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour into medium saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until the soup thickens, about 15 minutes. Serves 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment