Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars


I'm finally done with my Christmas/holiday pottery orders and got work delivered and shipped off on Friday and all my Christmas packages mailed. On Saturday I got to sew with Z and take a good long nap, and I did some Christmas baking today. I had a bit of a preview on Monday, when I made caramel corn and toffee to ship to family, on Tuesday, when I made orange chocolate chip cookies for book group, and on Thursday when I made chocolate covered strawberries for Z's class party. Those turned out beautiful, but I didn't get a single picture. I've never tried tempering chocolate before, but it isn't as difficult as I had thought. We're planning to make some truffles this week, so I'll try to post about that.

I got this fantastic recipe in an email today and I just so happened to need to bring cookies to a Christmas concert this evening and I had fresh cranberries languishing in the bottom of my refrigerator, so I decided to give it a try. These are quite easy, festive, and have a delicious contrast between the tartness of the cranberries and the buttery sweet shortbread. I like the suggestion in the comments to add orange peel to the filling, and will try that next time. These are going on our favorite holiday cookies list. Just be sure to allow the extra time needed for chilling, and watch out to not add too much sugar in the first step (I accidentally added the full cup listed in the ingredients list instead of the 3/4 cup in the instructions, but it turned out great anyway).

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/cranberry-streusel-shortbread-bars.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment