Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies

On request, I'm posting the recipe for these decadent morsels that I made for book group last week. I got this recipe from my sister Becky. The recipe I first got from her called for rolling the cookie dough balls in orange peel infused sugar, which makes them pretty and sparkly, but I didn't think the extra sweetness added much to the flavor. I like to make them with mini chocolate chips and roll them in waxed paper, freeze and slice them for a different look. You can shape the log in a square by packing into a wax-paper or aluminum foil box lined with plastic wrap.   Or just make them round.  The freezing step means they work really well as make ahead cookies for the holidays (or any other time of year). I also usually drizzle them with a bit of semi-sweet chocolate for drama. I just love orange and chocolate together. These cookies are nice and buttery and nutty, too.


Orange Chocolate-Chip Cookies

1 c. sugar
2/3 c. butter
1 Tbs. grated orange peel (I'm generous with this)
1 egg
1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. chocolate chips



Cream together sugar, butter, orange peel. Beat in the egg until fluffy. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate and nuts. Either roll into bar cookies in waxed paper and freeze or roll into 1 1/2" balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten to about 1/2" thick. Bake 350 for 9-11 minutes. If desired, when cooled, drizzle with chocolate. Just melt about 1/4 c. chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 10 seconds. Place in plastic baggie, cut off a tiny bit of the corner and drizzle over cookies placed close together.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I offer other readers my testimonial. Make these now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got back from the grocery store. I wish I'd read this first. Alas, I have no oranges . . . only clementines, and I'm sure a tablespoon of grated clementine peel just won't cut it. Perhaps for New Year's. I love oranges and chocolate together, too, so I can't wait to try it. Or I guess I can since I refuse to go back to the grocery store until the crowds thin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice to avoid the grocery store. I made the mistake of braving Whole Foods today. Craziness. And the awful part is I still have one more thing I have to get tomorrow. I'm thinking maybe if I go REALLY early in the morning, it won't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete